Finance & Administrative Officer Job At Kakenya’s Dream
Kakenya’s Dream seeks to empower and motivate young girls through education to become agents of change and to break the cycle of destructive cultural practices in Kenya, such as female genital mutilation and early forced marriage. These future leaders will improve their community, their nation, and the world. We challenge ourselves to come up with the best education system for young African girls and we promise to share our models with others.
Job purpose: To carry out the day-to-day accounting functions and support the organization’s operations.
Job Title: Finance & Administrative Officer
Reports To: Country Manager
Terms of Service: One – year renewable contract
Location: This position is based in Nairobi but it is expected that the individual in this position will travel to the field office located in Transmara West, Narok County, approximately every other month for two-three days at a time, to meet and coordinate with the program staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for financial record keeping and administration; ensure that all finances are properly administered and monitored in accordance with Kakenya’s Dream (KD) financial regulations and controls
- Overseeing the maintenance of the QuickBooks accounting system by ensuring that accounting transactions are posted correctly and timely and that data is posted and backed up on a daily basis
- Liaising with external auditors to ensure regular and annual audits are carried out smoothly
- Preparing monthly financial reports for internal and external use on income, expenditure, and any variations from budgets
- Preparing and management of budgets
- Provide financial support to the project team members i.e: Quarterly funds disbursements
- Review all financial documentation including Payment Vouchers, Petty Cash Vouchers, Journal Vouchers, EFT Vouchers and Payroll Voucher
- Maintaining bank records, performing bank statements reconciliations and dealing with the bank on all financial matters
- Ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements as relating to existing laws
- Processing of payments
- Responsible for the management and administration of the payroll
- Support statutory returns filing on monthly basis i.e: PAYE, NSSF, NHIF, HELB
- Responsible for researching and helping put in place additional policies and procedures as needed (Reviewing & implementing of financial policies)
- Resolve finance-related queries
Ensuring coordination and adherence by local Program Accountant
- Work closely and oversee the work of the Program Accountant to ensure proper management, tracking, and alignment with KD policies and procedures.
- Identify any deviations or errors and work with the Program Accountant and Country Manager to resolve in a timely manner
General administration and tasks
- Carrying out, and helping develop where necessary, administrative systems such as records management, operating documents, and procedures, etc.
- Managing the administrative aspects of human resources for the organization, including updating and maintaining personnel files, tracking leave requests, recruiting new staff, and preparing contracts
- Making in-country arrangements for US staff and visitors traveling to Kenya
- Organizing team meetings, circulating agendas and taking/circulating minutes
- Represent the finance department at the Board of Directors’ quarterly meetings
- Performing general administrative duties; correspondence, procurement and maintenance of equipment
- University degree in accounting, finance or related degree
- Minimum CPA Part II qualification
- Previous experience working with QuickBooks Pro and online QuickBooks
- Previous experience managing the entire auditing process
- Previous experience in grant management and reporting on both restricted and unrestricted funds
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel