Legal Manager Job Toyota Kenya Limited
Toyota Kenya Limited is the authorized distributor and service provider of Toyota, Yamaha, HINO, and Suzuki brands in Kenya. Toyota Kenya Ltd was incorporated in 1997 as a subsidiary of Toyota Tsusho Corporation (TTC) the trading arm of Toyota Motor Corporation
With the business growth and in line with our business strategy, we are seeking to recruit a qualified, passionate and self-driven candidate to fill the vacant position of Legal Manager, reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, and based in Nairobi.
The main purpose of the role is to develop and implement the Legal strategy of the different CFAO automotive companies in Kenya in line with CFAO guidelines and in compliance with the local legislation.
He/she offers legal support to mainly Automotive management, manages legal risks, reviews all legal cases, and contracts and prepares corporate documentation to ensure compliance to statutory, legal and the operating environment.
Main responsibilities for the role include;
- Development and implementation of the legal strategy.
- Lead the legal function, controls and the corporate governance: prepare corporate documentation in line with CFAO HQ Legal Department guidelines.
- Review and prepare the different commercial contracts, mainly in distribution, real state in line with CFAO HQ legal Department guidelines.
- Manage and follow up on all litigations and court cases to ensure timely responses and actions to mitigate legal risks and exposures.
- Coordinate delivery of legal services by third parties to ensure innovation, continuous improvement efficient legal operations model to support the business.
- Review legal documents to ensure compliance to the law and the CFAO policies and procedures.
- Anticipate and plan for all legal risks and develop strategies to mitigate the same and drive sustainable growth.
- To prepare the legal section annual budgets and ensure proper expense control
- Liaise with HQ legal team for any group legal compliance requirements and guidance, and to provide functional reporting.
- Act as legal business partner and Company Secretary.
- Accountability for the local brand protection and legal operations to CFAO Legal department.
- To create and manage a local legal team and adaptation of Company guidelines to local legal requirements.
Minimum qualifications Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in law
- Diploma in Law (Kenya school of Law) and a valid practicing certificate.
- Practicing certificate issued by Institute of Certified Public secretaries
- Minimum 10 years’ experience practicing commercial law
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- A good working knowledge in the following legal areas – corporate law Commercial Contracts, product liability, IP, employment matters, Consumer Law, Real State law, Environmental Law, Litigation, Marketing, Sales, distribution and competition law, mergers and acquisition.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills